Wednesday 18 July 2007

разменял третий десяток

"разменял третий десяток" is how one would say "I'm in my twenties" in Russian but it really means "I've changed into my third decade". The way I see it is "I'm approaching thirty." I guess it's time to get a move on because I'm sure before I know it I will be approaching a hundred and, yes, I'm confident I will live to be atleast a hundred. Got to believe it to make it happen. My family asked what I wanted to do for my birthday and I told them I just wanted to make it a normal day. Approaching thirty after being a teenager isn't anything I would want to celebrate anyways. I have to admit, it's great a excuse for a feast.

My little cousin made the dough.

The women sculpted (<=direct translation) the pelmini.


They even allowed a man operate the stove for this special occasion. He handled it like a pro.

They decided it would be nice to take a photo of me and my grandmas with my uncle's officer hat on.

Funny how just a few minutes later my dad's mom was explaining to my mom's mom how you can't treat kids like toys but I guess once its a two-way thing it's treating kids like playmates.

I think the hat suited my mom's mom much better.

A couple of real men putting real meat on real metal sticks.

Before.

After.

We sat outside for the occasion and everyone stood up to dedicate a toast to me. I've never celebrated in this fashion and I think it's quite fun. My favorite toast was from my dad, "Never stop trying new things."

Once again, the sunset looks awesome from Valera's balcony.

One more time.

I don't want to grow up! I like my youth. Why can't I stay this young forever? What am I going to do for money once my parental scholarship is over? Where am I going to go to make a dozen acquaintances an hour after college is over? Most importanyly, what am I going to do to vent stress when I can't senselessly throw myself rollerblades-first at urban obstacles anymore? I guess I'll have to use my frustration with the world in a more productive way. I'll be damned if I don't play escape artist for as long as I can though.

No comments: