Thursday 12 July 2007

с днем рождения райка

By the time I woke up, Andrey and Raya already left to buy groceries and other necessities for Raya's birthday party. They began cooking at around noon and it took them almost 5 hours. Andrey, Raika, and Veronica made a variety of beautiful and yummy appetizers and salads.


During that time, my mom and I went out to look for a birthday present. We stopped by the movie theater first because I had an urge to watch the new transformers on the big screen in Russian. It was over an hour to the next showing so we had plenty of time to shop around in the mall underneath the theater and elsewhere. The very first place we looked was a little mall stand selling all sorts of junk but we noticed a couple of elegantly designed and framed wood cuts that we both really liked but we decided to play it safe and walk around for another hour. We walked around till we couldn't stand the heat anymore and then ended up returning to the first mall stand we visited. Is it just me or does this happen to everyone? It seems like every time I'm looking for a present like this I'll find it in the first 5 minutes but wander around for an hour only to find out there is nothing better or I'll take 5 photos of something just to make sure I have a good one and four out of five times the first one is the best one. Atleast when shopping with presents the extra time spent increases your confidence. Wish I had a photo of it but all I have is Raya hiding behind the flowers we got for her after the wood cut.

I think she had fun posing with her presents.

So much fun we had to hold her down.

I was actually one of the last people to show up because of the Transformers movie but I got back just in time.

Vitka, the guy on my left was teasing me about my Russian-American background and kept pouring me vodka to the rim. I dodged many toasts by leaving to upload photos and work on my blog. Vitka would come grab me sometimes and everytime I would have a full shot of vodka ready and waiting for me. I never missed a step so I never refused but Raya was falling over herself within the first hour.

The others weren't far behind either. They started singing and a whole lot of them decided to rehearse an old pioneer song. Pioneers are the Russian version of boy scouts and girl scouts. Check out Andrey in the back keeping the spirit alive.

They provided their own entertainment with games and songs. In this game, the person behind the picture doesn't know what fairy tale character he/she/they are and they can only ask yes/no questions to figure it while everyone laughs at them. When they finally guess they get to make any person in the audience perform one of their wishes.



My mom and Raya have been getting along greatly for 30 years.

At midnight, all the guests had left and my mom and I started cleaning. It didn't take long and afterwards we continued the party with just the four of us. My mom went to sleep at 2 but Raya, Andrey, and I stayed up until almost 5.

No comments: