Sunday 24 June 2007

First night at the beach

After dinner we went to an outdoor bar called La Zaretto. It's Italian for hospital and it used to be the place where sick sailors would be quarantined at the port until they got better or died.


I made friends with a few college kids studying in Ancona and Bologna and they took me to an outdoor dance club on the beach.


When we got there I asked the wrong random girl if she spoke English because she did and I wish she didn't. She turned out to be somehow connected with the people that brought me there but before I knew that I told one of them what I thought of her. Her boyfriend over heard and told her. She wouldn't leave me alone after that. I would leave a group and she would show up later to tell me how I was so wrong about her. I would leave the group again and it would happen again. I wandered further away and made friends with some kids sitting away from the music and closer to the ocean. Only one of them spoke English but I pretended I knew and understood Italian.


When I decided to go find the friends who brought me there, I couldn't do it but I did find out that I got pretty lucky with finding and English speakers at all. I must have asked like half the people there. When we left at 3am, the party was peaking and the beach looked as packed as a real night club. I wish we could have stayed longer but one guy drank too much and got sick. Lame. I tried asking for a bottle of water for my sick friend but the bartender tried taking advantage of my American status so I went found the friendlier bartender and he hooked it up for free. The friendlier one served me my one and only drink earlier that night of almost straight vodka. It was a great night and I learned a lot of Italian.

No comments: