Friday 15 June 2007

Strange Coincidence

Yesterday I was playing with the idea of being a skate instructor at Woodward camp, the biggest skate camp in the world, next summer. I wasn't sure on how I was going to accomplish this goal. Strange coincidence, on my daily trip to BaySixty6 I ran into another rollerblader from the States who has been skating for 7 years like me. He was from New York, the state not the city, and we were practically on identical ability levels. After chatting for awhile I discovered that when he returns to the States from his vacation he is going to be teaching at the east coast Woodward skate camp. He said I could definitely do it too if I just send it an application and bug them by phone every week. Watching him skate inspired me to try some things and by the end of the session I was comfortable spinning fakie 7s (translation: come in backwards, two full rotations, land backwards) over a fun box. It's something I always wanted to learn but having someone like him around really motivated me. Our hotels were pretty close to each other so we caught the train back together and exchanged contact information. I was hungry to the point of side cramps but the beer I picked up on my walk back helped settle that. Got online and started chatting with the blurberati for ideas on where to go tonight. Jason Bull gave the best suggestions on where to find the "hip youngsters".

No comments: