Tuesday 19 June 2007

Roma Day One

Our flight was short and customs went smoothly. Once outside the terminal, the heat started to set in. I told my dad that Italians are fun to look at because they work so hard on their appearance he said hes glad somebody noticed. They all looked the same though, pretty flamboyant. I think my hat made me stand out because everyone else had too nicely styled hair to be wearing a hat. I think hats would also prevent them from stylishly wearing their sunglasses on their foreheads. Renting a car took about two hot hours. I was starting to sweat just sitting in the shade.

We finally got our car and drove to our hotel to check in. I immediately went for a poolside nap to enjoy the sun I so dearly missed while we were in London. The lifeguard spoke a fair amount of English and suggested a few places where I could find more Americans like myself. When the sun dipped behind the hotel building, I went to the hotel room to take a shower and found my dad napping like a baby.
We caught the 7pm bus to the center and I was completely awestruck.

I couldn't stop taking pictures, I thought it was the most amazing city ever.







I really liked this statue. I want it outside my house if I ever get one.

Before it was actually dark we enjoyed a sweet deal on dinner. 9.50 Euros for pasta or pizza, salad or brucheti, and a glass of wine. It was a touristy spot but still the best Italian food I've ever had. After dinner we grabbed a gelato cone to split between us and my parents took the bus back to the hotel. I stuck around and took a walk around in search for some night life. The two most popular suggestions were a pub called The Drunken Ship and a club called Anima. I got to where The Drunken Ship was supposed to be but couldn't find it so I asked the police officer where it was and he told me they had some trouble with the police. I said, "I'm in the wrong place, eh?" and strode off towards Anima. I was told there would be a younger following but I don't think there was anyone under 25 there. I befriended some consulting group from NYC that got sent to Rome for a 2 day paid vacation. Most of them were ghastly boring but atleast one of them bought me a drink. The guy who bought me a drink was too drunk to remember who I was by the end of the night. A lot of drunken things happened that night that I don't think I should share with the internet. Some locals helped catch a night bus home and I finally got to the hotel at around 4:30am. The only problem was that all the doors were locked and I couldn't find a buzzer to wake someone up to let me in. I thought I was going to have to climb into our hotel room but decided against it for two reasons. 1) I wasn't sure which balcony was ours. 2) I wasn't confident I could even pull it off. I walked around the hotel testing doors and managed to find one that wasn't completely closed and that was the end of the night.

No comments: